[Sca-cooks] Dijon Mustard?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Apr 29 06:48:00 PDT 2011

Not quite.  Consider "Dijon mustard" a brand name based on Naigeon's recipe
of 1856 that has since gone generic.  Dijon mustard did not exist before
1856.  There are many mustard recipes that pre-date 1856 and the original
Dijon recipe is a modification of one of those recipes, exchanging verjuice
for vinegar.

Mustard comes in a variety of thicknesses.  Think of the difference between
a heavy stone ground mustard that must be spread and a thin yellow ballpark
mustard that can be poured.   According to Martino, French Mustard is a
thick mustard that has been thinned by adding poor quality wine creating an
inferior product that Martino apparently does not find worthy of the
name--mustard.  This is apparently a regional difference between France and
Italy in the 15th Century as to how they prepared mustard rather than any
specific recipe.

Under Nartino's definition, Dijon, or more correctly Dijon style, mustards
that are thinned with wine are "French mustard" rather than Dijon being
derivative from French Mustard.

Bear