[Sca-cooks] Fish Empanadas

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Apr 7 01:31:21 PDT 2011

><<< I'll probably use Markham's wafer batter or something like it >>>
>
>Why? One of the various pie recipes would seem to be more likely
>than a wafer batter. Not the least that I thought a pie/empanads
>needed to be somewhat self-standing, even unbaked, and I don't see a
>wafer batter being that way.

It's basically a fancy waffle pan.  The mold has two sides that clip
closed, and the fish is cooked inside it.  The Japanese ones usually
have a sweet bean filling.

It's a fun sort of thing, but I think it would be hard to make enough
for a feast. .  I think you'd need more than one pan, it only makes
two at a time.   I haven't done it for years, but I remember it
taking a while to make enough for two kids.

Here is a youtube of making taiyaki. (with a dog watching for some
reason that must make sense if you are Japanese).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7JjeupVt0

Ranvaig