[Sca-cooks] Fish Empanadas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 23:18:23 PDT 2011

Juana Isabella gave two fish empanadas recipes such as:

<<< Salmon Empanado

You must take the salmon, well-cleaned and washed, and take your spices, which are long pepper, galingale, and ginger, and all this well-ground with salt, but in such a manner that there is not too much spice, but moderate; then make the empanadas, and put the salmon inside. And cast the spices on top and beneath, and all over. And then cover the empanada and let it go to the oven to cook; and when it is cooked, if you wish to eat the salmon cold, make a hole in the empanada under the bottom crust so that the broth comes out, because with it, it cannot be kept well. >>>

What is the difference between a pie and an empanada?

<<< I'll probably use Markham's wafer batter or something like it >>>

Why? One of the various pie recipes would seem to be more likely than a wafer batter. Not the least that I thought a pie/empanads needed to be somewhat self-standing, even unbaked, and I don't see a wafer batter being that way.

I'd like to see your redaction, especially after you've made this and tasted it. As usual, I haven't got the slightest idea of how much of the spices to use. I like salmon, but it seems like it might be too strong a taste for this dish. If you try both, my suspicion is that the bonito or other white fish, will work better. They both sound like interesting recipes, though.

I don't know if it will help, but here is some of our previous discussion on fish pies.

fish-pies-msg (20K) 6/ 8/09 Period fish pies. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/fish-pies-msg.html

We seem to have discussed meat pies a lot more than we've discussed fish pies.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com