[Sca-cooks] whole stuffed cabbage

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 11 05:42:15 PDT 2011

I know that one. It comes up in a coouple of cookbooks, including Staindl, Philippine Welserin and IIRC Rumpoldt (certainly Staindl). I've transcribed it for my upcoming Landsknecht's Cookbook. Let me see if copy&paste works on my old laptop...

Machs also / Nim scho:ene herdte gebel / schnei ain brayts pla:ettel bey dem stengel herab / und ho:el die gebel inwendig auß / das die gebel darnach gantz beleyb/ Nyme dan ain La:emern / Ka:elbern / oder ain Schweynes bra:et / das nit allt ist / flaysch / das hack gar klain / nam ain fayßte darunder / das mu:oß nit zu:o klain gehackt sein / Schlahe ayer daran / thu:o weinbeerlin darein / und füls ins krawt / unnd thu:o das bla:ettlin wider auffs gebel / unnd steck zweck darein / über brenns wol / wie sonst ain krawt / seychs dann ab / und geüß erst ain Schweynene suppen daran / und seüds fein ab / schaw das nit anbun / So du es anrichst / so seüd ain rawm der gesa:ewrt sey / unnd schneyd die gebel auff die schüssel / so sihet man die füll in dem krawt / Etlich machen ain eingeru:erts von ayren / mit weinbeerlin / füllens inn das krawt.

Make it thus: Take nice, hard heads, cut away a broad slice near thestalk, and hollow the head out from the inside so that it stays whole. Then take roasting meat of lamb, veal or pork that is not old, chop it quite small, mix fat with it that must not be cut too small, break eggs into it, addraisins,and fill it into the cabbage head. Then put the slice back in place, fasten it with wooden skewers, boil it well, like you would other cabbage, then pour off (thewater), pour pork broth with it, and cook it well. See that it does not burn. When you serve it, boil cream thatis sour and cut the head in the bowl so you can see the filling inside the cabbage. Many also make scrambled eggs with raisins and fill that into the cabbage.
(Staindl #221)

Looks like it did. This what you were looking for?

YIS

Giano