[Sca-cooks] whole stuffed cabbage

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 12:26:08 PDT 2011

There's this one from Sabina Welserin which is chicken and head lettuce.
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

90 If you would like to make chicken on head lettuce

Then take a pot and lay a handful of lettuce in it and a chicken on
top, again a handful of lettuce and a chicken and so forth. Take after
that good broth, which should be rich, and put a good piece of butter
into it and salt it and boil it, until you think that it has cooked
enough. Put a little mace into it. One must, however, use head lettuce
and it should be washed clean beforehand, then it is ready.

But this looks like a layered a dish. maybe someone gave an
interpretation where they stuffed a head of cabbage??

Johnnae