[Sca-cooks] converting to gluten free

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Apr 12 14:41:33 PDT 2011

Looking at the recipe, I would say that the sourdough is meant to lighten
the final product.  When you have a yeast dough, you get some expansion when
you put the heat to it.

Considering this is similar to falafel, you should be able to make it
without the sourdough.  If you would like to experiment with substitutes for
the sourdough, I can suggest a couple of methods.

1.  Take 1/3 of a cup of warm water, add a small pinch of sugar, dissolve a
teaspoon of yeast in the water, let the yeast activate.  Stir in a
non-gluten flour (I would probably use rice or garbanzo flour) until it
forms a soft dough.  Let the dough stand for about a half hour before making
the recipe.

2.  Leave out the sourdough and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the
chickpea flour.

Without testing, I make no guarantees about how these substitutions will
work.  Experience tells me they should and I can hear Murphy laughing in the
distance.

Bear