[Sca-cooks] Fw: [Summits] Fw: Officially Period...the tomato

lcm at jeffnet.org lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Feb 10 19:22:04 PST 2011

As
usual, it is a good thing to point out to those concerned in the
first posting, that just because they had tomatoes, does not mean
that they were a common foodstuff. Or even an occasional one. It is
something along the lines of the explanation that yes, they had
ground meats. Yes, they did have cheese. Yes, they did have bread
rolls. And yes, they did have pickles. But it does not mean that we
can run headlong with the argument and say that they had
cheeseburgers! So yes, they might have had tomatoes, perhaps as an
ornamental plant. But I don't think that marinara sauce is
necessarily the next step.
 Liutgard
 On Thu 02/10/11  3:32 PM , Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
sent:
 I'm swamped up to my eyeballs today, but I thought this deserved a
forward. From
 the illustration it does seem to be tomato, although I seem to recal
that they
 had them and just didn't see them as a common food item. I just wish
I had saved
 the Italian reference I sumbled upon years ago that refferred to
tomatos as
 "lovely, but useless" as I haven't been able to find it again since.

 However I agree that like chocolate and other items I'd hate for
people to
 assume that just because they were aware of a food item in some form

 that hershey bars and pizza with red sauce are viably historically
accurate.
 In joyous service,
 Raffaella