[Sca-cooks] Ideas for cold dairy free finger food

Ursula Georges ursula at tutelaries.net
Mon Feb 14 09:26:47 PST 2011

On 2/13/2011 7:16 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> [...]

Is she restricted from eggs as well as dairy?  If not, one of the
medieval stuffed eggs recipes might be good.

If she likes vegetables, it's pretty easy to make a vegan version of
Divuers Sallets Boyled, which is good cold or hot:

http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/display.pl?nboc:59

Use oil and vinegar rather than butter in your seasoning, and look for a
French-style bread made without dairy for your sippets.  You can omit
the hard-boiled egg garnish.  I have made this with cauliflower and with
chard; both are good.  I would serve some sort of protein (nuts, the
recommended eggs, or a cold meat, depending on dietary preferences) on
the side.

Does anyone else have a favorite medieval recipe served on sippets (that
is, on pieces of toast)?

Ursula Georges.