[Sca-cooks] OP, OT: Oz

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun May 1 06:46:00 PDT 2011

Only connection I'm aware is as a convenient nickname for Australia.
It's certainly a bit easier to say "Oz", or type it, than the
mouth-filling "Australia".

Since L Frank Baum was an American, and died in 1919, I rather doubt
there was any direct connection between the original Oz and Australia,
other than the rather obvious similarities in the first syllable and
that Australia is so far away from Europe and the Americas.