[Sca-cooks] The Naming of Names - slightly OOP

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 12:21:31 PDT 2011

> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] The Naming of Names - slightly
> OOP

> Does the Province{?} of Ostgardr consist of just the five
> boroughs/
> cantons?  And what is an SCA "province"? How does it
> vary from a
> barony or a principality?

A province is the same as a barony in terms of size and officer requirements, but it does not have a Baron and/or Baroness. They are common here in the West, particularly in the Mists. I think the Crown Provice of Ostgardr (NY) and the Provice of Treegirtsea (Chicago) are the only ones outside the West.

The theory in the old days, as I understand it, is that a Baron/ess's job is to stand in for the Crown when They aren't there. But, if you live in an area where the Crown is almost always there, then you don't need a stand in, so you have a Province instead of a Barony. The Provinces in the Principality of the Mists are in the parts of the SF Bay Area where all our early kings came from. Golden Rivers (Sacramento) in the Principality of Cynagua, became a Province after having been a Barony. The specific reasons for this change are unknown to me.

Juana Isabella
West