[Sca-cooks] SCA placenames

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 25 23:53:13 PDT 2011

Galefridus said:
<<< West of the Crown Lands is the Barony of Settmour Swamp, whose
lands include Somer-set and Mor-ris counties, plus the Great Swamp
National Wildlife Refuge. The Swamp also includes the entirety or
pieces of several other counties, but I guess they didn't rate being
included in the name. >>>

Thank you. I hadn't heard where Settmour Swamp came from. The
situation with the other counties, isn't that unusual. When Ansteorra
(lone Star) was being formed, there were no SCA groups in Oklahoma.

One of the reasons for the name for the Kingdom of Caid, is that the
four letters are from the first letters of each of the four baronies
that existed in that area at that time. I'm pretty sure there are a
lot more baronies there, now.

Another fact that many folks don't know is that for a while, the first
group established in a mundane state was automatically a barony. A lot
of these would have been difficult to establish as a "shire" these
days, at least on their numbers.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com