[Sca-cooks] air-dried sausages

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 4 23:38:30 PDT 2011

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> schrieb am Mo, 5.9.2011:

> To which Giano replied:
> <<< With more preparation time to get good at it,
> air-dried sausages. >>>
>
> Any particular recipes you have in mind, Giano? We've
> talked about sausages many times on this list, but I'm not
> sure I remember any air-dried sausages.  They would
> also seem to make good camping food, either by themselves or
> added to other foods, since they last without
> refrigeration.

There's one in Sabina Welserin, with parallels elsewhere, that I had in mind since I recently did a translation for my landsknecht food project. But I'm sure similar ones can be found elsewhere.

Welt jr gút wirst zúm sallat machen
So nempt 10 pfúnd schweinin fleisch, 5 pfúnd oxenfleisch,  allweg zwen tritail schweinin, ain tail oxenflesch/ das wer 15 pfúnd, soll man 16 lott saltz/ vnnd 5 lott pfeffer, soll ain wenig erstossen sein, nit gantz, vnnd so das flesch gehackt jst/  thut man erst 2 pfúnd speck darein, klain gewirfflet
geschniten, darnach das schweinin flesch faist jst, mag man minder oder mer nemen, man soll den speck vom rúggen nemen  vnnd nit vom wamen, vnnd das sý woll jberainandergetrúckt werden, ýe er man sý tricknet, ye pesser/ hencken  sý jn stúben oder jn kúchin, doch nit jn raúch/ vnnd nit zú nach zúm offen, das der speck nit ergang, solchs soll jm zúnementen mon geschechen, vnnd soll man das geheck woll vnnd hert aintrúcken, so beleiben die wirst lang gút/ vnnd soll ain yedliche wúrst oben vnnd vnndten zúbinden, aúch bendel lassen an beden ordten, damit man die auffhencken soll, vnnd soll man die all 2 tag vmbkerenn, das vnndertail jber, vnnd wan sý gar aústricknet seind, schlagst jn ain túch vnnd legts jn kasten.

If you wish to make good sausages to use in salad
Take ten pounds of pork, five pounds of oxmeat, always two parts pork to one part beef, that makes 15 pounds. To that, take 16 lot of salt and five of pepper, which shouldbe pounded a bit, but not completely. When the meat is chopped, you first add two pounds of fat bacon diced small. You may take more or less, depending on how fat the pork is. Take your bacon fropm the back and not the belly. And they (the sausages) must be pressed together well, and the more you dry them, the better.   Hang them up bin the living room or kitchen, but not in the smoke, and not too close to the oven so the bacon does not melt. This should be done in the waxing moon, and if the chopped meat is dried well and hard, the sausages willstay good for a long time. And each sausage must be tied above and below, and the bands must be left on to hang them up with. They must be turned over every day, the bottom end up, and when they are dried out completely, you wrap them in cloth
 and store them in a box.
(Sabina Welserin #23)

YIS

Volker