[Sca-cooks] The Bell of a Hog or Sheep

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Sep 19 13:24:02 PDT 2011

The capital letter is very hard to read.
Looking at the stemma I think that Emilio is correct in the "B" being a "K" for "Kell" or caul.
Although "bell" as anything that is hollow works in the case of this recipe since you are stuffing things into it.

This reference from George Gascoigne, The Noble Art of Venery or Hunting(1575) "stones are called his doulcets, and the caule about his paunche is called his Kell." would also confirm the use of "kell" for caul.

Thanks all for your help.

If anyone finds a recipe for the oink let me know!

Eduardo

PS - more questions are sure to follow in the weeks, and months, to come.