[Sca-cooks] Farm-to-Table Dinners and What You Pay

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Mon Sep 19 14:40:10 PDT 2011

Caveat: I have run a cow pool for several years now, I'm extremely active in
the local foods and farmer's market community here, and I'm a serious
foodie. I have very strong feelings about perceived and real elitism vs.
"fair trade" for local farmers in the organic and local foods
movement/scene/whatever.

My answer is: it totally depends on who you are marketing your event towards
and why. Do you want to attract wealthy people? Serving wine with each
course and only using organic ingredients jacks the price up significantly
and pegs your event as one marketed towards a wealthier crowd, as does using
a "chef". If you go this route, you can charge basically whatever you want.

Do you want to make the event affordable for a broader range of people, or
attract families? Don't limit yourself to 100% organic and don't make the
ticket price inclusive of alcohol. Get a small catering company to cook, or
do it yourself. Let kids under 12 eat free. Going this route means charging
no more than $25 per person.

Madhavi