[Sca-cooks] cultural context

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 27 00:48:54 PDT 2011

Along with the other books recommended, for thirteenth-century spain you may want to, look at the recommendations (de modo comedendi) made by Petrus Alfonsi in his disciplina clericalis.

http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/alfonsi.disciplina.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrus_Alphonsi

According to the Wikipedia article, there is an English translation around: The scholar's guide. A translation of the twelfth-century Disciplina Clericalis of Pedro Alfonso, by Joseph Ramon Jones and John Esten Keller, Toronto, Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 1969.

Don't know how good it is, since I'm working with a German one and the online original, though. The part about eating is fairly short, but the fables and exempla flesh it out a bit.

YIS

Giano