[Sca-cooks] Cameline and Green Sauces now at Dar Anahita

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Sep 28 22:13:20 PDT 2011

>The collections are not all inclusive or utterly
>thorough. I do have 19 Camelines from 5
>centuries and 7 "countries", and 24 Green sauces
>from 3 centuries and 5 "countries" (i'm a big
>fan of Green Sauce).
>
>Naturally, i'm happy to have more sauces if you
>know of some, and to correct any errors i have
>made.

My mild comment is that it isn't sufficient to
say Rumpolt 9.  Since each chapter is numbered
separately, just the number doesn't identify the
recipe. You could either give the page number
(CLX) or the chapter name (Zugehörung).

>German Language Cameline
>While two recipes originally in any of three
>Germanic languages were passed along to me (#1
>and #17), I don't have any Cameline-type recipes
>from German-speaking areas.
>Has anyone noticed any other Cameline-type
>sauces in the German language or dialect? If so,
>please send any to me. Thanks!

Rumpolt's Probrat sauce has cinnamon and wine or
vinegar, but it usually has sugar and sometimes
lemon or orange.  I don't think you can call it a
carmeline, but it is perhaps somewhat similar.

Pobrat sauce is usually thickened with sugar but
sometimes also flour, flavored with spices
(saffron, cinnamon, cloves and pepper) and wine,
sometimes with stock, sometimes vinegar, and
slices of orange or lemon.  It can be yellow,
black, or grey (but I don't see how you get the
colors).  Make it without fat if it is to be
served cold.  It seems to be something added at
plating, rather than cooking the item in it.

Kalb 4. ....und kanst allerlei Pobrat darunter
machen/ es sei gelb/ schwartz oder graw/ es sei
süß oder saur/

Hammel 25 ....And of this form prepares one the
pobrat/ Take wine/ vinegar/ cinnamon/ saffron/
and fairly much sugar/ that it becomes thick/ and
let it simmer together/ and if you will have it
sour/ then take vinegar and beef broth/ also a
little cloves/ pepper and cinnamon/ all ground
together/ do a little browned flour in it/ and if
you want take among it Seville oranges/ salted or
unsalted lemons/ then cut them nicely wide over
it/

Steinhenn 1.  ... When one will give it warm/
then one makes a Pobrat sauce under it/ be it
sweet or sour/ ...  Or make a sweet Pobrat sauce/
take a good handful of sugar/ that is ground/ add
it in a small tinned kettle/ or in a small pan/
that the potter makes/ add to it sugar/ ground
cinnamon/ take also a little saffron and cloves
under it/ pour a little wine over it/ that the
sugar just melts and melts/ cut from a citron
nicely wide under it/ or from salted/ or sour
lemon/ that is fresh/ or from an orange/ Put it
in the kettle/ and come just to a boil/ so it
becomes nicely white from sugar/ when it is
cooked.  If you will instead save the sugar/ then
take a little browned flour to it/ so will the
probrat also be thick and good/ also pour a
little vinegar in it/ like this it is lovely and
well tasting. And such a pobrat sauce one can
give under all sorts of birds/ that are roasted/
also well with wild game.

Steinhenn 4.   Cold roasted rock pheasant with a
pobrat sauce/ which has no fat/ as stated before/
the pobrat made from pure sugar/ with wine and
vinegar let simmer/ orange or lemon sliced nicely
wide/ let simmer with it/ after that pour into
the dish and let become cold/ lay the roasted
rock pheasant in it/ when it is sprinkled with
cloves and cinnamon/ and not with bacon/ because
it is not lovely with bacon/ especially if one
wishes to eat it cold in this manner.

Fasan 1.   A pheasant warm roasted with a sweet
Pobrat sauce.  Take wine/ likewise also a little
vinegar/ saffron/ cinnamon and seville orange
sliced therein/ sour lemon or citron made well
sweet/ and let simmer with it/ that its becomes
thick from sugar/ like this it becomes good and
also well tasting.

Ranvaig