[Sca-cooks] Spanish Pepper?

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed Sep 14 13:24:12 PDT 2011

>>> Katherine
>
> Rather than "Welsh beans," it is "Welsch Bo:nen" (foreign beans) one finds
> in Fuchs.  The term is also used by Targus (1552) for P. vulgaris, which
> was
> a foreign import from Italy.

Sorry I left out the c inadvertently.  I'd like to stand by my translation
of "Italian".  In the 16th century the word wa:lsch/welsch developed into
a meaning for Italian from the more general nuance it carried of Italian,
French or romantic language speaking area.  It was still tossed around in
casual speech to mean broadly foreign (specifically Italian/French maybe
Spanish) in a derogative sense but in educated parlance it usually meant
specifically Italian.  Grimm's dictionary backs me up on this one and I
think "foreign" is too broad a translation in this case.  Is there a
comparative entry in Italian?

Katherine