[Sca-cooks] Ambargris Pudding & Other Perfumed Foods

Aruvqan Myers aruvqan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:04:11 PDT 2011

I believe the musk used as a flavorant in many foods is synthetic, though I
did buy some crystalized musk from a source in IIRC India. [I have an odd
liking for musk lifesavers and musk sticks from Australia still.] In
addition to animal based musk there are some plant based ones. My google-fu
sucks this morning, all I can find right now is mention of the musk candy. I
do know the candy I have is synthetic musk.

And as to the sausage issue, I do remember in my F&R Apicius they mention
wrapping the lucanian sausage in caul fat membrane. I flipped through it
virtually online a bit but could not find a reference to stuffing it into an
intestine, though honestly I can see an argument for using it as you simply
do not waste a resource if you are poor and food is scarce. [And also the
issue of you need something to restrain sausage if you are to hang it in the
smoke to cure...]