[Sca-cooks] cultural context

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 08:45:24 PDT 2011

Hi Brighid,

I'm here :-) I just get this thing in digest mode, so I'm a little behind the thread.
 Greetings Liepa Jonaskaite,

The second event done by the Perfectly Period Feast group (or PPF movement as some of us refer to it) was a Spanish feast from the 1440's and Sent Sovi was our main culinary source. For service and carving we also used Arte Cisoria and a few other things. If you like, I can send you some of the hand outs that our Chief Ring Master and Cat Herder Mistress Crystal of the Westermark put together. I was the head cook for this event. Brighid flew all the way out from the East Coast for the event and I was extremely pleased to get to meet the wonderful lady who has translated so many Spanish culinary sources.

Taking bits and pieces of what we did and incorporating them into your feast plans for your first feast on your own may be more do-able than trying to replicate our entire project :-)

For those who are curious, our first PPF was late 15th c English and the next one (sometime in 2013) is 1580's Ferrara. We did the food, service, carving, plates, cutlery, nappery, furniture, etc. as close as possible to the chosen time and place. A huge effort by lots of people but an extremely cool endeavor.

Juana Isabella
West

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:54:20 -0400 Robin Carroll-Mann <rcarrollmann at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Beth Harper <lyndyn29 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The feast is 13c. Catalan (Sent Sovi is my main source, and it's got a
> little bit of this stuff in the preface, but just not enough).
> Material specifically about Spain would be SUPER AWESOME, but an
> broader view of Western Europe would be lovely too. Where should I
> start?

Duchess Juana Isabella to the white courtesy phone, please.  ;-)

Brighid ni Chiarain