[Sca-cooks] ISO Hints for Teaching at Pennsic

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 2 11:13:22 PDT 2011

As y'all know, i attended my second Pennsic this year.

Prior to this year i was not sure if i was up to teaching at an institution as venerable and mythic as Pennsic, but after attending a class during which i must have mentally face-palmed a dozen times (no, Saddam Hussein did not change the name of Persia to Iran; no, Iraqis and Iranians are not culturally the same; etc.), i think i am sufficiently capable.

So i was wondering if anyone on this list might have some helpful hints for teaching SCA-period food oriented classes to people from all over the known world at Pennsic.

In addition to a lecture-type class, i would like to teach a hands-on cooking class and i know i cannot have a Coleman stove inside a Grimm class tent, although people i talked to at University Point said it would be allowable to have a camp stove outside one. I have asked the folks who run the West Kingdom encampment - which is easy to find, easy to get to, and on level ground, just around the corner from Your Inner Vagabond - if i can hold it there, but i don't know if they'll agree, since it is essentially a fighter camp.

So i may be in search of a camp that is not too hard to find and too far out who would allow me to hold a cooking class...

I have not yet decided if this will be in 2012 or 2013.

Thanks for any crumbs of knowledge,
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita