[Sca-cooks] Looking for "Celtic" foods, especially "finger foods"

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Mar 2 23:58:44 PST 2012

At Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:36:15 -0800, Susan Fox wrote:

>Celtic, eh?
>
>Here are my full notes about CORNISH PASTIES, As seen on THE SECRET LIFE
>OF... PIES

>Authentic options and lore:
>
>Pronounce it PAST-TEE not PASTE-TEE or your English friends will all
>laugh at you. A Pasty Pastie is not at all nice to eat. This is not food
>from the future but from the past-ee!

>Pasties in literature:
>
> From Chretien de Troyes' 12th Century “Tales of the Knights” 'Next
>Guivret opened a chest and took out two pasties. "My friend," said he,
>"Now try a little of these cold pasties ..."' Don't forget, King Arthur
>was from this part of the world; his mother was Ygraine, Queen of Cornwall.

This could be interpreted as implying that you are describing a period dish. As you probably realize, Cornish pasties are not--as might be suggested by the potatoes in the recipe. The fact that there is a word in French in the 12th century that can be translated as "pasties" does not mean that the 18th century Cornish pasty is period, or even that there was a period food that was similar.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/