[Sca-cooks] Gilded Marzipan Subtlety: Was Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 71, Issue 9

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 4 03:06:25 PST 2012

Iohannes wrote:

 >speaking of...what would happen if i submitted a gilded marzipan
 >subtlety of say, a fish...as an entry?

First, be aware that your post still quotes a number of old messages
from the digest (above) that you received.  Be sure to delete that the
next time you respond.  I get the digest, too, and have to cut and paste
my responses into a new message as perhaps you need to do.  It is also
helpful to use a header with some reference to the topic.

So, if you submitted a gilded marzipan subtlety, I'd be delighted to
sample it!  As Johnnae said, the general criteria for "official"
Midrealm A&S competitions is available from the link on the Midrealm A&S
Officer's page (http://www.midrealm.org/moas/AandScompetition.php).  You
will want to read the specific criteria for the type of entry you are
considering. I can't find a link for that document which is, I think,
what you want.  It contains the specifics of what the judges are looking
for in each type of entry.

Back to subtleties... Your question seemed to indicate that you thought
there might be a problem with submitting a gilded marzipan subtlety.
Or, was it asking about the procedure for doing so?  Gilded subtleties
have been submitted to A&S Competitions.  Going from memory, the item
would be judged in several categories - documentation, authenticity,
judges' impression.  What materials did you use - pre-made or hand-made
marzipan?  How did you make it?  Did you use a modern or a period
recipe?  Was the fish shape from a mold?  (Did you make the mold?  Of
what?  How?  Did you hand-shape the fish?)  The criteria are there to
help you think about the procedure and the "authenticity" of the item.
Wish I could give you a link to it...

You might be interested in the MK Cooks' List
(http://www.mkcc.rhawn.com/MKCC.html)  and the SCA Subtleties List.  The
latter is a Yahoo group so you can find it there and subscribe.  If you
are "into" subtleties, there are some great photos of members' work.
And, if I can may...there are some subtleties (period and non-period) on
my web site (damealys.medievalcookery.com).

Welcome to the list(s)!
Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming