[Sca-cooks] Gilded Marzipan Subtlety: Was Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 71, Issue 9

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Mar 4 07:31:30 PST 2012

Website has been rearranged. Go to
http://ans.midrealm.org/faire/user/index

You must pre-register your entries in advance. Get a password and
Follow instructions on this page.

Criteria are now at:
http://ans.midrealm.org/faire/user/index

Cooking: Illusion Foods
Cooking: Multiple Dish
Cooking: Multiple Dish: Preserve
Cooking: Single Dish
Cooking: Single Dish: Preserve

Preserve means food preservation. For a subtletie, you'll want
Cooking: Illusion Foods

The criteria explain and go into such matters as:
"Materials: 100 per cent food-grade materials must be used. Sanitary
methods of preparation and preservation should be strictly adhered to
even though they may not be authentic or period in terms of history.
Ingredients lists must be provided with the documentation.
Generally, all ingredients should be consistent with historical time
and place of the entry. Substitutions should be explained in
documentation. Do not use non-food grade materials or ingredients in
the edible portions because they are 'period'.

Commercial molds are allowed, provided they are food-safe or intended
for use with food. Molds should be brought to the event to be
displayed  with the entry, if the judges request. The entrants may
develop their own molds using 100 per cent food grade materials.

Considerations should also be made for acquisition and preparation of
materials. For example, a 16th century Parisian confectioner would not
be expected to grow or grind their own wheat or process their own
sugar from raw materials."

Have to run,

Johnnae

On Mar 4, 2012, at 6:06 AM, Elise Fleming wrote: I can't find a link
for that document which is, I think, what you want.  It contains the
specifics of what the judges are looking for in each type of entry.
snipped