[Sca-cooks] Which wine for mallard recipe

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 03:52:47 PST 2012

>I'm looking at serving wild mallard at a feast at the end of this
>month. Here's a link to the recipe I'm currently planning on using:
>
>http://www.godecookery.com/nboke/nboke80.html
>
>The recipe calls for dry wine and for wine vinegar. I'm not sure
>whether I should use red or white wine, or whether it would really
>matter. Any suggestions?

Take Conyng, Hen, or Mallard, and roste him al-moste ynowe; or elles
choppe hem, and fry hem in fressh grece; and fry oynons myced, and
cast al togidre into a potte, and caste there-to Canell; then stepe
faire brede with the same broth, and drawe hit thorgh a streynour
with vinegre. And when hit hath wel boiled, caste the licour thereto,
and pouder ginger, and vinegre, and ceson hit vppe, and then thou
shall serue hit forth.

I don't see why the redaction has wine.  It's not mentioned in the
original. (Neither are cloves and mace, except as "season it up").
Unless they were looking at other versions of the recipe too.

Ranvaig