[Sca-cooks] period cooling of drinks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 23:32:00 PST 2012

Iohannes offered:
<<< in a bit of crossover between my discipline and yours...i found an
illuminated page from Gaston Phoebus' Livre de Chasse that shows a
dinner service being done, and the interesting thing that i'd like to
share with you is the vessels in the water... considering that Gaston
lived in Foix near the Alps, --period refrigeration???!

http://www.themorgan.org/collections/swf/pageEnlarge.asp?id=823  >>>

Thanks for sending this.

We've discussed this a little bit before, but I don't remember any
graphical evidence of using creeks for cooling. Probably good source
for info on "picnic feasts" or "garden feasts" as well.

For some previous discussions on this and similar topics such as ice
houses and iced drinks and desserts:
p-cold-treats-msg (18K)  5/13/08  Period cold or frozen foods eaten in
period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/p-cold-treats-msg.html

Of course most of this wasn't common. Here another file on unusual
period ways of heating foods:
no-fire-cook-msg  (14K)  6/ 9/00  Period no-fire and solar cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/no-fire-cook-msg.html

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com