[Sca-cooks] Traveling pizza ovens

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 7 18:54:30 PST 2012

Maria Martinez fired her pots in a fire pit.  I'm sure that it lost more
heat than a kiln, but it did the job.

The question is not the efficiency, but the purpose.  You can bake bread on
a hot rock or in a pit lined with hot rocks.  You can't bake much bread, but
it works for an individual or small group on the move.  Stack ovens aren't
efficient for large scale baking, but they can be built out of scrap
material, assembled and disassembled quickly and moved fairly easily.  In
this kind of baking, you are not concerned with the heat that escapes, but
the heat that is retained in the brick mass and radiated back into the oven
chamber.  The clay does act as a seal and an insulator and makes the oven
more efficient, but makes it harder to disassemble and move.

Bear