[Sca-cooks] Which wine for mallard recipe

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Mar 7 19:05:33 PST 2012

For purposes of comparison, our redaction from the Miscellany:

4 1/2 lb duckling,
or 3 lbs chicken
or 3 lb rabbit
1/4 t mace
1/4 t pepper
1 t cinnamon
lard for frying
6 slices bread
1/2 lb onions
2 T red wine vinegar
2 c chicken broth
1/4 t ginger
1 c wine
[1/2 t salt]
⅛ t cloves
1 T vinegar

Roast the duck, chicken or rabbit for about
an hour and a quarter. Bone the meat, or break
it into small pieces. Chop onions and fry them
in 2 t of the drippings for about five minutes,
until they turn yellow. Add dismembered
chicken (or …), broth, wine, cloves, mace,
pepper and cinnamon to the pot, bring to a
simmer, and cook twenty minutes.
Meanwhile, tear up the bread, spoon about
1 c of the liquid from the pot over the bread,
and let it soak for 3-4 minutes. Add 2 T
vinegar, force through a strainer or mash very
thoroughly, and add to the pot along with
ginger and another T of vinegar. Bring back to
a boil, stirring, and serve.