[Sca-cooks] Fwd: [Norsefolk_2] New Cookbook: from Stone Age toVikings:

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 28 20:05:09 PDT 2012

Since I can't get the URL to work, I have no idea about the information on
the website.  From what is stated here, these are recipes that were basicly
developed from ingredient lists probably assembled from archeological and
historical sites.  That means any recipe is likely very speculative.  My
questions would be are these recipes produced in comparison with modern or
historical recipes or descriptions and if historical, what sources?  Were
these recipes prepared by cooking methods contemporary to the assumed
period?  From the little I see, this may be valid experimental history, but
it is not necessarily accurate historical recreation.  While I might
consider a feast from this source, I would hesitate to declare it period.

The issue with any historical cooking is the degree of accuracy.  With an
actual historical recipe, I can produce an interpetation of that recipe that
will simulate the actual historical dish with a reasonable degree of
accuracy.  Every assumption I must make about such a dish decreases the
accuracy of my product.  Errors tend to be multiplicative so as the number
of assumptions one must make about a dish rises, confidence in accuracy
declines.  The assumptions in this type of histrorical endeavor tend to be
rather high.

Bear