[Sca-cooks] A culinary journey through time' was New Cookbook: from Stone Age to Vikings:

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Mar 29 03:45:47 PDT 2012

Define "period" because that seems to vary with what is desired or
sought after. If the King and Queen are Anglo-Saxon, and they like
the feast because the food is great and served hot and on time for a
reasonable price and even though it's all conjecture and plausible at
best.... well that may be deemed "period," appropriate, and
satisfactory. It may also be greatly praised and rewarded.

Sight unseen, it's hard to tell how good this book is or what it
provides.
Some of these works are pretty good; other are just awful, using
potatoes for medieval
dishes or in Anglo-Saxon dishes or using post discovery ingredients
without reason.

I did buy Sabine Karg's Medieval food traditions in Northern Europe
and it is very good. Want to check on plant remains in a northern
site, it's the source to start with.

The original cookbook in French was titled: Voyage culinaire dans le
passé : un livre de recettes de cuisine de la Préhistoire au Moyen âge
Publisher:Lons-le-Saunier (25 rue Richebourg, 39000) : Centre
jurassien du patrimoine, cop. 2000

In German, there's this volume also: Kulinarische Reise in die
Vergangenheit : ein Kochbuch mit Rezepten von der Steinzeit bis ins
Mittelalter
Zug : Kantonales Museum für Urgeschichte, cop. 1995. I think this is
another earlier version.

Has anyone seen either of those?

Johnnae

On Mar 28, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> Okay, a question for the scholars, here.  How many of you would/
> would not
> consider this valid justification for considering a dish "period?"

The title of the book seems to be 'A culinary journey through time'.
Another article here which seems to be the same press release
http://sciencenordic.com/research-based-cookbook-cavemen-and-vikings
I've written and asked about ordering a copy.
Johnnae