[Sca-cooks] Looking for "Celtic" foods, especially "finger foods"

Gretchen Beck cmupythia at cmu.edu
Fri Mar 2 09:38:46 PST 2012

Oats cakes should be gluten free (cross contamination from milling not withstanding).
I've used this recipe with successL
  1 cup oat flour
  1 Tbsp butter or bacon fat, melted
  1 cup boiling water
  1. pinch salt (to taste)
(I;m doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure it was a 1to1to1 ratio).

Mix dry ingredients, mix in the fat, mix in the water (not need to be delicate, just dump it in there) and mix. If it's a little to mushy, mix with oat flour until you get a nice cookie dough texture. If it's a little too dry add a little extra water until you get a nice cookie dough texture. Flour board, roll immediately (having no gluten, the dough does not need to rest. The hotter you roll it, the easier it is to work with). Roll it into a round 1/4" or less, and cut into triangles. Bake until all the moisture is gone (you can also run it through the toaster oven's toast cycle a number of times). Cakes are usually done when the edges begin to curl.  You can also cook them on a griddle like pancakes -- same rule applies, bake until dry and the edges start to curl.

These are great with bacon, cheese, apples, and (for some odd reason) they seem to be best of all with apricot jam.
Smoked or pickles fish go well with these too.

toodles, margaret