[Sca-cooks] Looking for "Celtic" foods, especially "finger foods"

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 2 10:36:15 PST 2012

Celtic, eh?

Here are my full notes about CORNISH PASTIES, As seen on THE SECRET LIFE
OF... PIES

Warning: this is not low calorie, low fat, low carb, low anything except
possibly low tech!

RECIPE FOR CORNISH PASTIES

CRUST:

4 cups plain flour
1/2 pound chopped suet [about 2-1/2 cups] [Why suet? If you have cheap
cuts of beef, you probably already have beef fat too. Moderns use butter
or veg shortening.]
1 Tablespoon salt
water to mix [also varies; can be up to 1 cup]

Mix chopped suet with flour and salt. Mix with hands or electric mixer
set to lowest setting. Add water, a little at a time, until a pliable
dough forms. Go ahead, handle it A LOT. This is not supposed to be light
flaky confection, this is not only part of the “baking pan” for the meat
and potatoes, it’s also the “lunchbox.” Tensile strength is a plus.

Divide into 6 evenly sized dough-balls and refrigerate for at least one
hour or overnight. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; there is more water
than usual in this dough and the refrigerator will dry it out into
un-rollable rocks.

FILLING:

2 pounds beef. A nice cheap chuck pot roast is ideal.
2 medium potatoes
2 small turnips
1 onion
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Pepper.

Cut the beef, potatoes, turnips and onion into small bite-sized bits,
under 1 inch dice. Mix it all up with the salt and pepper.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:

Roll out the dough balls into rounds about 8 inches in diameter. Wet
down the edges of each circle with water, about 1-2 inches from the
edge. Place a goodly handfull of filling into the circle of dough, fold
over and seal the edges. Fold once, wetting it down some more if you
have to in order to get a good seal. Crimp decoratively with your
fingers. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, brush with milk or beaten
egg for good color, and bake for about one hour at 350 degrees F or
until well browned.

Authentic options and lore:

Pronounce it PAST-TEE not PASTE-TEE or your English friends will all
laugh at you. A Pasty Pastie is not at all nice to eat. This is not food
from the future but from the past-ee!

The question whether the crimped edge should be on the side or on the
top is an ongoing dispute akin to a religious battle. The top crimp is a
bit easier to form and make pretty. The crimp on the side provides a
convenient handle for holding the pasty. Miners’ hands get dirty and
there are other elements in the Earth that you don’t want in your food;
arsenic appears in tin mines, for instance. Superstitious miners leave
the edge crusts for the Cornish mine spirits, called “knockers” to bribe
the little folk into not making mischief in this dangerous work environment.

The Cornish Pasty could be a full two-course meal with the addition of a
dollop of jam or fruit in one end and baking it all together. The
housewife would put the husband’s initials on the fruit end, in order to
identify it on those occasions when he wanted to save his sweet for later.

A Cornish saying: “The Devil will never cross the River Tamar into
Cornwall for fear of being made into a pasty!” Almost anything edible
could and was enrobed in crust and baked in the south-west reach of the
British Isles. Other favorite fillings include salad-type spring greens,
mushrooms, cheese and onion, pork and apple.

Although Cornwall is nearly surrounded by the ocean, the Cornish Pasty
is exclusively a “landlubber’s” food. Sailors consider it unlucky to
take a pasty aboard ship. There is another dainty dish for seaside
fisher-folk, however, called “Star Gazey Pie” where whole boned fish are
laid between layers of dough and baked with their heads and tails
sticking out. Yum.

Pasties in literature:

 From Chretien de Troyes’ 12th Century “Tales of the Knights” ‘Next
Guivret opened a chest and took out two pasties. "My friend," said he,
"Now try a little of these cold pasties ..."‘ Don’t forget, King Arthur
was from this part of the world; his mother was Ygraine, Queen of Cornwall.

Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor (1600) "come, we have a hot pasty to
dinner"

Pasties in America:

Eventually the famous tin mines of Cornwall played out, so the miners
joined the flood of immigration to American in the 1800’s. Pasties are
well known in Michigan, especially in the Upper Peninsula, and nearly
unknown outside of there except by Anglophiles and travelling Yoopers
and their friends. Modern pasty-makers have largely substituted
vegetable shortening for suet or lard in the crust but the dish has
remained otherwise unchanged for centuries.