[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 71, Issue 6

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Mar 3 07:11:04 PST 2012

Please clip your posts.  Resending an entire digest causes problems for many
people on the list, especially those receiving the digest.

Research for A&S can run the gamut from working directly from cookbooks such
as Pleyn Delight to translating and preparing recipes from period texts.  We
have had some epic debates over just this question.  In practice,
documentation standards for A&S vary by kingdom.  You will find some of the
commentary at http://www.florilegium.org/ .  The site contains many things
SCA and the food sections will give you an idea of what we have discussed
over the years.

I no longer compete so I don't worry about the SCA standards for A&S.  My
standard is to produce a product that would be accepted for presentation at
a symposium of historians.  My results often do not meet that standard, but
I keep working at it.  I have been cooking for about 50 years, and working
at historical cooking and culinary history for about 30.  In that time I
have gone from preparing feasts that were "sort of period" to preparing
feasts of specific time and place from period sources and refining my
research.  The fact is, you will set your standard, just as everyone on this
list has set their's.

>From the time I have been on this list, I can provide a small suggestion,
the more specific and focused you can make a question, the (usually) better
and more refined answer you will receive.

Bear