[Sca-cooks] Spit roasting?

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Mar 7 04:01:54 PST 2012

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:33:10 -0500
From: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>,	Creating
	period spits <spit-project at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Spit roasting?

A question has come up regarding the availability of spits for roasting and
a statement most Society members do not have grills equipped with a
rotisserie or a spit today.

How many people actually have spits set up for roasting? If given a recipe
for a dish that calls for spit roasting, can you spit roast at home? at an
event?
Thanks,

Johnnae
Spit-roasting is not very common here. I would be very surprised to meet
someone with a spit at home, and on the odd occasion that we've done it for
feasts my barony has had to hire a spit. I do know some people in other
groups (including outside the SCA) who do it properly (ie the spit is
basically just a long metal stick over an open fire).

Angharad