[Sca-cooks] Peach butter

Anne Murphy afmmurphy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:35:33 PDT 2012

The key factor in water bath canning isn't sugar - it is acid. My old
Ball Blue book had recipes for canning fruit in water... it is not a
problem. If you want, add ascorbic acid or lemon juice, to be sure
your recipe is acidic enough, especially if you use very ripe fruit.
(And don't use overripe fruit - that loses acidity, IIRC.)

*Without* canning, fruit kept best with sugar - so people developed
jams and preserves and a taste for them. When they started canning,
they simply canned the recipes they already knew how to make, and
already liked.

As someone said, there are recipes out there for canning with
artificial sweeteners. They don't affect the sugar or the acid balance
- you can just use them and leave out the sweetener.

AEllin