[Sca-cooks] OOP mystery ingredient question

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:52:21 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Gretchen Beck <cmupythia at cmu.edu> wrote:

> Agreed -- I found this i The  Western Journal of Education vol 5-6
> (published 1900) over on google books:
>

> From the article In a Suagar Bush (about maple sugaring):
> Then came the wax-making. The hot syrup, when at exactly the right stage,
> poured in small quantities upon packed snow, becamse instantly hard and
> crisp, and what a flavor it had! Nectar is nowhere beside it, much less the
> maple-wax candy sometimes sold on the cars. It was great fun to get a boy
> who did not understand the game, to take a lump of this wax into his mouth,
> which he was usually quite willing to do, and after it had softened a
> little to give him a sudden chuck under the chin, driving his teeth
> together. It would often take him a quarter of an hour to get his mount
> open.
>
> toodles, margaret

Yes but this would never be something you can measure in a cup and dredge
in flour. It's just a big blob of maple "tire" (sorry for the French here,
I have no idea what it's called in English) on a stick, like this:
http://www.thesmallers.com/bibliotheque/tire%20d'erable.jpg

And then the mention not to use the black ones would make no sense at all!

Remember this was published in the 70s (even if it is a bicentennial
cookbook)...