[Sca-cooks] OOP mystery ingredient question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 30 03:25:35 PDT 2012

The cookbook is from Brimfield,  Ohio and the area of the Western
Reserve. I wonder if it's an Ohio thing.
And while the cookbook was published in 1976, was the recipe itself
dated?

I suspect Margaret got it right with the old fashioned gum drop
suggestion.
I checked Laura Mason's work on candies and didn't find them listed
there.
Banana cake or bread recipes do seem to include a variety of candies.
I suppose as an additional treat.
If they want to make it, I wonder if they might try something like Dots.

Johnna

On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Mary + Doug Piero Carey wrote:

> My library has rec’d a food question and it is a lulu. What is wax
> candy? snipped
> The recipe in question (a banana cake) is from the Brimfield
> Township Bicentennial Cookbook (1976) and calls for 1.5 cups raisins
> and 1 cup wax candy to be dredged in flour so that they don’t sink
> to the bottom of the batter. This argues that it must be something
> smallish. The recipe warns “Don’t use the black ones”.

OTOH, Community and change in the North Carolina mountains: oral
histories and ...
By Nannie Greene, Catherine Stokes Sheppard, Sarah Jean Joslin defines
wax candy as an old fashioned gum drop (kind of like you would get in
England -- not the spice drops you get now).

toodles, margaret