[Sca-cooks] Broken brawn recipe?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Sep 9 15:03:25 PDT 2013

How did I know you could read the original? Bold guess ?!? The handwriting is a chore but the
enlargement feature helps. Can you imagine how many years of her life Constance Hieatt spent reading manuscripts like these?(This is why I prefer printed books myself. Easier on the eyes.)

I have placed Hieatt's version under yours if there are differences.

On Sep 9, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Alexander Clark wrote:

> On Sun Sep 8 20:04:13 PDT 2013, Johnna Holloway (johnnae at mac.com) wrote:
>> I own a copy of An Ordinance of Pottage. There are a number of brawn recipes.
> 89-91 are the recipes of most interest. But much better is the original!

> snipped
>>

>> http://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3432728?image_id=1012906
>>
>> And the brawn recipes start at 66r. So you can read the original there
>
> How did you know I could read the original? That handwriting is horrible! :-)
>
> Here's what I've got so far:
>
> 65v-66r

Labeled 89 in An Ordinance of Pottage

>        _Brawn ryal brawn cypres brawn bruse_
> Take fresch brawn boyle hit in fayre watyr till hit be tend[r]

> blaunche almondys greynd hem draw hem up with the same broth
> & a p[ar]ty of wyn as hote as thu may than make thi milke hote

 Hieatt says perty of wyn

> & do thy brawn in a strayno[r] hot & draw hit with the mylke hott.

streynour

> do ther to sygure a grete dele [&]  venyger. set hit on the fyre boyle hit.

[sygure is sugur] sugar a great deal and vinegar

> salt hit do hit in a vessel.

> when hit ys cold yf thu ?????? haue hit out of the vessel with out

yf thu may nowght have hit out, chaufe the vessel withoute

chaufe -- warm the vessel with hot water

> hote waty[r?] or a 3enst the fire.

> a 3enst  ayenst meaning against

> lay a cloth in a bord & turne the vessell topsodowne ther on & schak
> the vessell that hit falle oute out.

This next line reads as "Cut it thyn lechys & serve hit forthe iii or iiii in a dysch, & strew on poudyr of gynger or paryd gynger"

> ther in the lech & serue hit for
> the iij or iiij in a dysch & strew on poudyr of gyng[r] or pary[d] gyng[r]

> mynsyd with anneyce clouys macys & anneys in comfite.

> yf thu wilt thu may draw som ther of with the same broth & with a party of wyne

perty not party of wyne

> with out mylke coloure as bryght as lambur with eny colour saf saffron.

lambur means amber.
> heu? when hit ys

heu? when hit  ys cold, dyce hit
> cold & floresch that othir ther with or els thu mayst cut -that-other-
> hit in leches
> as thu doste that othyr & serue hit forth in same man[r].

> or thu may turne hit in othir colour yf thu

in othir = anothir

> wilt haue a grene draw hit with mylke of almond[s?] in
> to a morter & safron ther with or els put safron when hit ys growndyn ???he
> or lyty?? ????? thu wylt make thi colour & colour hit ther with when thu ta
> kyst hit from the fyre

wilt have a grene colour, draw hit with mylke of almondes & grynde
in [de] baudeas into a morter, & safron therwith; or els put safron
when hit ys growdyn, muche or lytyll, after thu wylt make thi
colour, & colour hit therwith when thu takyst hit from the fyre,

>  & do ther with as thu dedyst with the todyr

dedyst = did    todyr= the other

> and yf thu wilt thu may do theryn poudres or thu may put theryn a grete quantyte
> of canell & of gynger & of sawndres to make hit brown & serue hit forthe in
> the same manner.

> Or yf thu wilt thu wilt thu may take tursele & wesch hit & grind hit
> well in wyn

turnsole….  & wash it and wring it

>  that thu sesonnste hit up with and when hit ys boylyd
> coloure hit up with blo??e sa?gueyn

coloure hit up with blou or sangueyn

> whethir thu wilt & do there with as thu
> dedist with the tothyr

> or thu may if thu wilt when thu takyst hit fro [th]e
> fyre & haue al seson[?]
sesond
> hit haue brawn sodyn tendyr & when hit ys cold[?]
& when hit ys cold cut hit in leches
> cut hit in leches or dyse hit & cast hit in the pott & stere hit to gedyr & put
> hit in to that othyr pott vessell
Hieatt doesn't include pott

> when hit ys cold lech hit & do therwith as thu dodyst with that othir & serue hit forth

Hope this helps

Johnnae