[Spit-Project] Late period pot

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 23 14:11:57 PDT 2009

Well, there are some difficulties with using the proper metals. Copper
can be toxic to some people who are particularly subject to allergies,
particularly if it isn't kept sparkling clean (so can iron, but it's
much less common). Tin is about as neutral a metal as you'll get,
until you get into modern stainless steels.

If I particularly wanted  a copper or bronze or tin pot, I'd simply
get some sheet metal and fabricate one. All three metals are very easy
to work with- most of your work would be done cold, and a little
propane or butane torch to heat them up a bit to normalize them when
the metal gets stiff is all the heat you'd need- you wouldn't be in
the position of trying to work hot metal, as you are with
blacksmithing. Most of the lead-free solders work pretty well, too.

As far as actually finding pre-made pots of that type, I'd look at
various reenactment suppliers- Jas. Townsend, for example. You'd be
amazed at what somwe of those places have.