[Sca-cooks] Measurement Definition

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 3 15:24:35 PDT 2010

I'm not going to quote all of what Johnna sent.  I really appreciate the
measurements that were included.  Some of the quotes, though, appear to
use "dish" in the sense of an object that something is served on/in, or
a general name for the item that is prepared and placed in a dish.
Those references wouldn't, to me, be a hint of how large or small a
"dish of butter" would be.

I like the note about a penny dish butter and I think there might be
historical reference as to how much butter could be obtained for a penny
in particular times in England.  I'm going to send out some feelers
about that.

Thanks again, Johnna!

Alys
--