[Sca-cooks] pasties was Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 7 16:44:34 PDT 2010

You should check the SCA Cooks archives for what was said about pasties
on this list in July 2007 and a certain article in TI.

One of the posts read:

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 1:28 PM
   Subject: [Sca-Cooks] Pasties article in the new T.I.

   I assume from the lack of anguished howls on the list that nobody
   else has read it yet.

   The author wants to make Cornish pasties in the SCA. She is unable to
   find any period recipes for pasties. She finds several passages in
   period literature that refer to "pasties," with no explanation of
   what the term means; one of them, from Shakespeare, refers to people
   having "a pasty" to dinner, which pretty clearly has to be something
   bigger than a Cornish pasty.

   So she combines a modern pastry recipe out of a secondary source, no
   period source given, with the filling from Le Menagier's mushroom
   tarts, makes them in the form of a Cornish pasty, and having so
   "documented" pasties proceeds to give a second recipe derived by
   taking a modern recipe for Cornish pasty and replacing the potatoes
   by turnips.

   And T.I. publishes it.

   As it happens, Chiquart has a pasty recipe--which, needless to say,
   has very little in common with either of hers.
   --
   David/Cariadoc
---

Johnnae