[Sca-cooks] Little help, finger food, Italian

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 12:03:50 PDT 2011

I'd be delighted to share some Italian recipes. Other than finger foods so you have any other preferences, or restrictions? Does the year or location matter to you? Most of my research is focused on Venice, but there's some good manuscripts from Tuscany and other Italian city states.
There's stuffed eggs (Ove Plene), breaded and fried apple rings (Fritelle de pome per quaressima) as well as lots of other little fried bready things, spiced walnut bread (Pane de noxe maravigliosso e bone),  candied orange peel (A ffare ranciata bona e delicata), sausages, cakes, and tons of little tarts, sweet, savory, vegetarian or omnivore frendly. Seriously, there are mushroom and cheese tarts, prawn tarts, elderflower tarts, garlic tarts, tarts of gourds, fresh fava beans, fish, herbs & cheese, etc. That's all just in a single source, not to mention the others available in Italy pre-1600's.

You can see Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad's translation here:http://helewyse.medievalcookery.com/libro.html#XLVII
I have interpreted several of these myself and I'm in the process of trying to work my way through every single recipe in the manuscript, so let me know which sound good to you and I'd be happy to send you my recreation notes on any I have worked with so far. I've got a copy of this with the original Italian transcription and the english translation side by side, and I just completed a (very rough first draft) of a spread sheet listing all of the ingredients in this manuscript by recipe, ingredient type, etc. that I hope will help me distill some of the broader flavor palette as well as looking at the recipes individually.

I'm headed to An Tir's September Crown directly after work today so I may not get back to you until next week, but I'm always delighted to share and geek out over historical Italian food. I've also got several other Italian sources at home that I'd be happy to share information from as well, this particular manuscript and I have a long and loving relationship so I know it pretty well. :)

In joyous service,
Raffaella di Contino