[Sca-cooks] period tavern foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 5 21:52:08 PDT 2011

Ana replied to my question about period tavern foods with:
<<< Gruel was eaten in taverns, roasted meat in all forms, broth with
turnips
and cabbage, ale of course, sausages, pies, onions in all forms,
carrots,
fish, boiled or roasted, bread, eggs. Chaucer or Rabelais or Bocaccio
are
good sources for it. >>>

Some of those aren't that different from what would comprise "tavern"
food today.

But I'm not sure gruel would go over very well in the modern world or
in an SCA tavern!

If anyone can cite any particular examples from Chaucer, Rabelais or
Bocaccio, I'd love to have them for the Florilegium. While many SCA
tavern foods aren't that far from these, it would be nice to give
folks some basis for more authentic tavern foods.

Afterall, one of the reasons such foods were picked then, as well as
now, is that they are easy to fix and/or inexpensive. Many tavern
foods these days seem to be picked because they are likely to make you
more thirsty and thus more likely to buy more beverage. Some of the
period foods might have been chosen similarly. At least the sausages,
but perhaps there are some other salty period tavern foods as well.

Giano's air dried sausages look like they might be a good choice for a
tavern foods.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com