[Sca-cooks] The Bell of a Hog or Sheep / edition

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Mon Sep 19 11:38:32 PDT 2011

<< I don't want to seem "mysterious" but I am working on this for publication [...]

But any ideas on Bell of a Hogge?

Eduardo >>

All
 I can offer is a recipe from my (partial) transcription the Italian
Banquet (1598). It sounds quite similar to the passage you quoted,
however the word used there is "Kell", which the OED explains like this:

 5. spec.
a. The fatty membrane investing the intestines; the omentum: = caul n.1 5a.
The
 italian Epulario has the word "rete" (net = omentum) in the
corresponding recipe ("... toglie la rete de porcho o de castrone o de
altra bestia ..."), the German sources call this thing, the omentum,
"Netz".

Emilio

To make Liuerings of Veale or any
other yong flesh.

Take the leanest of the legge, and mince it with a little
larde and the fat of Ueale like Pie meat, then take Parsely
and Margerum minced small together with the yolke of an
egge, and a little grated cheese, according to the quantity you
will make, with Spice and Saffron, + mingle all these things
together with the flesh: then take the Kell of a Hog, Sheepe,
[Ciija] or other beast, so it be good, and bind these
 things in the Kell,
making euery peece as big as an egge, then rost them on the
spit with a soft fire, and not ouermuch.