[Sca-cooks] Ambargris Pudding & Other Perfumed Foods

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 20 13:17:20 PDT 2011

Under ambergris pudding, it is described here

http://www.historicfood.com/English%20Puddings.htm

Ivan Day notes that "Please note: we are well aware that trading in
musk is now strictly forbidden and we wholeheartedly agree with the
ethics involved in the conservation of the rare musk deer. However the
musk and ambergris we use at Historic Food was obtained in the 1970s
from very old perfumer's stock and are therefore entirely legal."

I suspect you cannot legally purchase musk or ambergris today for use
in English puddings.

Johnnae