[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 71, Issue 46

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Mar 29 13:40:27 PDT 2012

At Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:33:51 -0400, Galefridus Peregrinus wrote:

>Char les Perry has stated that almost any time oranges are used in medieval Islamic recipes, it's actually the bitter orange that should be used. So you've got a good selection of recipes to play around with from places like al-Baghdadi and al-Warraq.
>
>--Galefridus

The sweet orange gets to that part of the world, as best I recall, about the 15th century, and the usual Islamic sources are earlier than that (except ibn al-mubarrad, which might just make it). That's why we planted two Seville orange trees.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/